This entry is a little delayed, but a lot has happened in the last month, it makes for a good story and a lot of it will just make you laugh...

Quick background, for the past eight years I have been working for Dana Orthodontics as an ortho assistant, and I really have loved it. But the last year or so the South Jordan and Saratoga offices were purchased by a doctor by the name of Rodney Payne (Payne.In.The.A#$. is what we liked to call him and BTW that's where P.I.T.A. comes from). Anywho...Payne had a little "beef" my wonderful father-in-law and so I felt a little awkward at work. But I was mature and PROFESSIONAL about everything and as my father-in-law suggested, I simply separated the two. I thought things were going well, especially since Payne would (on a daily basis) tell me what a wonderful assistant I was...and even on the day he fired me, he went off about what an "incredible" and "star assistant" I was and how I "could run circles around the other girls...blah, blah, blah!" Ah, SAVE IT PAYNE!
There are so many details to this story, but we should just move on to HOW he fired me-this is the funny part!
So, January 3rd was a crazy busy day at work. I was running TWO rooms all day and working really hard. Payne kept asking me during the day, if I would be a "floater" for him when I stopped working (so he was assuming that I would quit after I had the baby and that I would come and work for him whenever HE called...) UH, yeah, I don't think so!!!! I told him NO three different times.
I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. But I was very proud of myself that all I said was, "Ohhhh... I get it... If I'm not YOUR floater, and come in whenever YOU call, whenever YOU need ME, then I don't have a job! Is that how it is?!"
His response was priceless. "Uhh, well, um...I just...uh..."
Then I continued with, "Well, since I wasn't aware that today was going to be my last day, will you let the girls know that I said goodbye and that I'll really miss them all? Thanks." Then I proceeded to roll my window up, while his arms were still folded and resting on the glass. It really cracked me up to watch his arms go up with the window!
So, that is the sad, yet humorous, story of how my eight year long assisting job came to an end. But don't feel bad for me, I got a job a few weeks later...
I now work at Discover Card. I'm in marketing and I try to sell card products to customers. And you know what? I'm shocked that I'm actually not that bad at it. And I'm sort of surprised by my amount of sales a day! It's not necessarily my type of job, but the benefits (that start day one) are AMAZING and make waking up, Monday thru Friday at 3:45 am and talking on the phone for eight hours a day, worth it! Plus, being 23 weeks pregnant and being able to sit all day long is quite nice and is a little bit better than looking at food in a 12 year olds teeth!
"Thank you for calling Discover Card, this is Des in Salt Lake City, may get your first and last name, please....."
And thank you for reading my 500 page post! I hope I was able to make you smile just a little.


Quick background, for the past eight years I have been working for Dana Orthodontics as an ortho assistant, and I really have loved it. But the last year or so the South Jordan and Saratoga offices were purchased by a doctor by the name of Rodney Payne (Payne.In.The.A#$. is what we liked to call him and BTW that's where P.I.T.A. comes from). Anywho...Payne had a little "beef" my wonderful father-in-law and so I felt a little awkward at work. But I was mature and PROFESSIONAL about everything and as my father-in-law suggested, I simply separated the two. I thought things were going well, especially since Payne would (on a daily basis) tell me what a wonderful assistant I was...and even on the day he fired me, he went off about what an "incredible" and "star assistant" I was and how I "could run circles around the other girls...blah, blah, blah!" Ah, SAVE IT PAYNE!
There are so many details to this story, but we should just move on to HOW he fired me-this is the funny part!
So, January 3rd was a crazy busy day at work. I was running TWO rooms all day and working really hard. Payne kept asking me during the day, if I would be a "floater" for him when I stopped working (so he was assuming that I would quit after I had the baby and that I would come and work for him whenever HE called...) UH, yeah, I don't think so!!!! I told him NO three different times.
So, the end of the day comes, I say goodbye and head out to my car. Once in the car, I release some "pregnancy" gas (what?! Everybody has gas)! Then, all the sudden, Payne comes walking out to my car and taps on my window. First thing I thought was "Ah,crap, I just let one!" As soon as I rolled the window down he says (very nicely, like we were best buds), "Let's just go ahead and consider today your last day..."
WHAT?!!I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. But I was very proud of myself that all I said was, "Ohhhh... I get it... If I'm not YOUR floater, and come in whenever YOU call, whenever YOU need ME, then I don't have a job! Is that how it is?!"
His response was priceless. "Uhh, well, um...I just...uh..."
Then I continued with, "Well, since I wasn't aware that today was going to be my last day, will you let the girls know that I said goodbye and that I'll really miss them all? Thanks." Then I proceeded to roll my window up, while his arms were still folded and resting on the glass. It really cracked me up to watch his arms go up with the window!
So, that is the sad, yet humorous, story of how my eight year long assisting job came to an end. But don't feel bad for me, I got a job a few weeks later...
I now work at Discover Card. I'm in marketing and I try to sell card products to customers. And you know what? I'm shocked that I'm actually not that bad at it. And I'm sort of surprised by my amount of sales a day! It's not necessarily my type of job, but the benefits (that start day one) are AMAZING and make waking up, Monday thru Friday at 3:45 am and talking on the phone for eight hours a day, worth it! Plus, being 23 weeks pregnant and being able to sit all day long is quite nice and is a little bit better than looking at food in a 12 year olds teeth!"Thank you for calling Discover Card, this is Des in Salt Lake City, may get your first and last name, please....."
And thank you for reading my 500 page post! I hope I was able to make you smile just a little.

9 comments:
Holy Crap, Des! I'm so glad that you found me! You still crack me up! It was so fun to read your blog. I was seriously laughing so hard. Thanks so much for saying hi and please keep in touch!
xoxo
To funny. I loved how you told it to him and then rolled him up in the window! Glad that you found something better for you!
I cannot believe you found me. I am so glad, it was so great to hear from you. We need to keep in touch. I will for sure check out your blog from now on. Talk to ya soon.
That was so funny to read. By the way I got laid off this monday, I have until July 31, but I don't think I am staying. Welcome to corporate America, I'm glad you are doing well at your sales job, but don't stay there for too long like I did. They stop liking people in a while too. Love ya.
Des, that story cracked me up!! Thanks for giving us all a new nickname to use for our most unfavorite people (Mr. P.I.T.A.) :) You are hilarious!
Des, you are so funny! How I've missed you these last few years...
I'm sure all of the awesome skills you learned back in the day at the bank will come in handy at Discover!
Good luck!
Oh my goodness, you had way more tact than I would have. What a jerk! Glad you don't have to be on your feet all day!
Holy Cow...I love that story! I am so excited to talk to you about it when we get together...
Des...I heard about this at work and was (sad to say) not too surprised in our lovely, tactful and socially normal Payne! I am so glad you are not having to work for him anymore though. Best decision I ever made was leaving h is sorry ass! Oops, did I just say that? I love you and miss you. Let's do lunch soon! Can't wait for your new little girl to come! :)
Post a Comment