Monday, August 17, 2009

Happy Anniversary To Me!

Three years ago today, I endured a very successful brain surgery.
Hence the smile.
{Also, don't you love how the doctors tied my hair back? And yes, I do look like a samurai.}



I've always wondered if I would be one of "those" people to blog about my surgery every year, and I think I am. This is something I would like to celebrate.

I mean, if you had your head shaved, your skull drilled into, part of your skull removed from your head, a little of your brain "scooped" out, and then screwed back together...I think you would blog about it too!:)


One nice part of the whole brain surgery ordeal, is that I had family and friends who cared about me and wished the best for me in during that scary time.
I have a friend named Amanda, who I worked with, that made me a sweet but very funny video. And one of my favorite stories was inspired by something from it.
Here goes:
The day of the surgery, as the nurse was shaving my head for the procedure, she told Phil and me that after the surgery most likely I would NOT remember anything from today. That sort of felt like a "challenge" to Phil and me, and it only made us more determined to remember everything. So, Phil and I decided to have a "code word" to show one another that my memory was still intact.
So as I was coming out of surgery, I saw Phil, gave him the "hang loose" sign, and said, "Aloha. Sorry about your brain."
I hadn't forgotten a thing. What did that nurse know? :)

But as you watch the video not a lot of it will make sense, because it is mostly "inside jokes" with all the awesome girls I worked with {But believe me, it's funny stuff.} And even to this day, it still manages to make me crack up and tear up at the same time.
So, Amanda, thank you, I love it. And I'm sure this is something I will be showing my family and friends forever.

And last but definitely not least, I am so grateful for the surgeons I had and I believe that my Father in Heaven was guiding them through the entire surgery, making sure things went well and as smooth as possible. What a great blessing!

7 comments:

Diane said...

Glad we were able to watch the video again. It did keep us laughing when we were all a little tense!

Amy Eagleston said...

I think this is an awesome thing to celebrate. You are awesome and I love your sense of humor!

Kendyll said...

I love this video Des! Sometimes it feels like yesterday we were working together. Congrats on 3 great years after surgery!

Katie said...

Yes, I would say you deserve to celebrate it. And to blog about it. And to eat lots of whatever is your favorite thing to eat.

You are amazing!

Joe and Marci said...

You should totally celebrate, and by the way, you still look gorgeous even without half your hair.
Party on, my friend. And let's go play!

Julie Knowlton said...

Happy Anniversary to your brain! Wait...what? I don't know.

Love you. And your brain.

Dawn said...

Congrats on another great year! Love you tons - and your brain too!