Thursday, November 6, 2008

Giving Thanks

I've been bit...
By the "Service Bug".

I was watching Studio 5 on KSL and they were talking about Family Service and how important it is that we show our kids, no matter their age, to serve others. I heard this and got totally energized about helping others.

And I know this sounds kind of cheesy, but I felt like my heart was about to burst. I just felt SO much gratitude for all that I have, and it made me realize that there are so many people out there that could use help. And as I sit here eating my turkey avocado sandwich, I feel so bad for those who don't even have food to eat, especially children.
On Studio 5 they were talking about different ways that your family could serve others. Some examples are volunteering at the Utah Food Bank, visiting elderly people at assisted living homes, or giving your time putting hygiene or school kits together for needy people. But one way is as simple as visiting with elderly neighbors and maybe taking them a treat. As soon as I heard that, I began thinking of all the elderly people in my neighborhood. I really feel like starting these sort of activities with Alex at her young age will shape her life to always want help others without a second thought.

Here is the Studio 5 link with all the Family Service ideas.
I'm already signed up with the Utah Food Bank to decorate boxes and then deliver them to needy people in our city. That will be one meaningful Family Home Evening!
I am grateful for all that I have and I hope you all feel the same way. And I encourage everyone to serve others any way they can!
Amen.
(That was a joke!)

4 comments:

Kami said...

Thanks for the fabulous ideas. It's hard to plan service and family home evening with just one 2 year old. I think we might do the food bank idea also!

Windy said...

Good ideas..especially this time of year. Good job....you have a big heart!!!

Raquel said...

That is such a good idea and you have inspired me! Nothing brings the Christmas spirit more than service. I need to find something that I can do here.

Diane said...

Such a good idea. We will be doing some service at our Christmas party also. love ya!