Monday, May 5, 2008

Blessings In Disguise

First off, this post isn't going to be short, I'll try to spare you ALL the details, and it is DEFINITELY not intended for any kind of sympathy whatsoever! It is basically for record and to express how grateful I have been feeling lately.

With that said...here it goes.

I was working only two days a week at Dana Orthodontics, but on April 9th, I was able to quit...doctor's orders.
{Blessing number one!}

The reason behind it had to do with MY health issues, not so much the baby's.
I have epilepsy, and any seizures are usually caused by lack of sleep, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to get much of that lately. Anyway, April 9th Phil, Alex and I were driving home and stopped at the gas station to fill up. I had a very small seizure, they call a Petite Mal,
{hands freeze, but I am still conscious and coherent} but not too big of a deal since I get them every once and a while, and after my surgery they aren't too disrupting at all. Phil noticed, held my hand, and when it was over he got out of the car to pump the gas...I then went into a Gran Mal, this one WAS a big deal, and I haven't had one in a very, very long time. Phil just held me and did the only thing he could do and waited it out. How grateful was I that he was with me!
{Blessing number two!}
-A quick little side note that I found amusing, and don't be afraid to laugh, but Alex noticed my seizing, and laughed at me saying, "Oh, Mom, you're so funny." Let's be honest, I think I would have laughed at myself too! {I've gotta keep a sense of humor about all of this, right?}

When we got home, Phil called my OB to see what we needed to do, and he told Phil to bring me into the hospital ASAP so they would be able to monitor the baby's vitals to make sure that no harm had come to her. {During seizures I tend to hold my breath, thus making it hard to get oxygen to the fetus.} Long story short, everything was fine, but they kept me there a while longer just to be safe, and it's a good thing they did...when all checked out, the doctor told me it was okay to leave and I could go ahead and get dressed. The next thing Phil heard from the restroom was a loud BANG! This was all a blur to me, since I was lying on the floor in another Gran Mal seizure. Phil ran to the hall to get help. The nurse then called a "Code Blue" {respiratory arrest} and within seconds 15 to 20 nurses and doctors arrived to help. The next thing I remember was a nurse holding me down, trying to get me to breath through an oxygen mask. I found this incredibly annoying, since I was breathing just fine on my own, and kept swatting her away! {I kept thinking, "Geez lady, take a hint!"} They quickly rushed me down for a CT scan, and found out that everything was okay, but decided to keep me over night to monitor the baby and me, do more tests, and see a neurologist in the morning. My doctor kept saying how it was a shame that I had had a second seizure, but how glad he was that it happened at the hospital, and I think Phil and I thought the same thing.
{Blessing number three!}

The next day I had an EEG, everything checked out, in fact a better than the EEG I had before my surgery.
{Blessing number four!}

I then saw the neurologist on call who was Dr. Elisabeth Sunderman, which happened to be MY neurologist that had left her practice to come work in the new hospital. I think I cried a little when I saw her. I love her. And she is actually the amazing one that suggested I have the brain surgery, which was one of the best decisions I have made. She remembered everything about me, all of the details of my medical history and was a HUGE help to my OB {I said she was amazing, right?}. Just before she left my room, I asked if she had any personal recommendations for a new neurologist, since she had just barely left the practice I was seeing her at. She then handed me her personal business card, told me that she was seeing a handful of "out patients" still, and told me that I was one of the lucky few! I cried a little {I'm pregnant and very fragile!} :)
{This is definitely Blessing number five!}

I was able to get in for an MRI that night. After reviewing the test, Dr. Sunderman told me that everything looked just fine, and in fact the space where they had surgically removed the bleeding "vascular malformation" had actually gotten much smaller. This is something wonderful for me to hear...I'm getting more brain back! Yay! Only joking. Like I said, I've got to keep this light!
{Blessing number six!}

I was then able to go home on a couple conditions: I quit my job {I cried, but these were tears of joy!}, I had to have someone with me at all times for a week {just in case something happened}, and the last {and WORST} condition was that I won't be able to drive for three months {DMV rules}. Although the last condition stinks, I've noticed it has helped me spend less money, but more importantly, I have been able to spend more time with my older sister as she drives me everywhere! We have always loved one another, but now we are close friends and REALLY enjoy being together.
{And that would be Blessing number seven!}


I've also realized what WONDERFUL family and friends I have! Everyone is so caring and willing to help in so many ways! And I couldn't be more grateful for all the yummy dinners that have come our way! A HUGE thanks goes out to our awesome ward and the all the love and support they have given. And I hope everyone realizes how much we have appreciated all that they do!
{Blessing number eight!}

But the one who has done the most and continues to do the most for me is Phil. I can't tell you how many times throughout our marriage, but especially now, that I have thought "HOW... Seriously, how did I ever get so blessed?!" I don't know how he manages to do so much. With a job that is VERY time consuming and also being the YM President, he still is able to and always puts his family first. And it is so easy to see how much he cares for and loves Alex, and I know he will be the same with this new baby girl. He is an incredible father and husband! And Phil deserves the biggest THANK YOU of all! I love you, babe!
{Blessing number nine!}


On to one of the most fun blessings...being home with Alex every single day. We are able to spend some serious quality time together before the baby comes, and that means a lot to me! That little spit-fire has a personality all her own, and manages to make me laugh constantly, which helps me look past any of the terrible two moments! And it is the most meaningful and rewarding thing to have my little girl come up to me, out of the blue, wrap her arms around me and tell me that she "loves me to my guts!!" I'm sorry, but there isn't anything better than that!
{BLESSING NUMBER TEN!}

But finally, through all of this, I have come to realize that sometimes the smallest blessings are the best and can be the most meaningful, it all just depends on how we view our ups and downs! And on that note, I'm going to bed!
I LOVE MY LIFE!

19 comments:

Carrigan Clan said...

You have such a great attitude! I am SO happy for you and all of your "blessings!" It always amazes me how we can constantly look back and see God's hand in our lives. Ironically, it is usually through our trials. "I love you to your guts" too!

Maryann said...

GEEZ! I'm at work and now bawling! I HATE that! We love you Des and hope you know that you are a blessing to us!

Joe and Marci said...

What an awesome post! You are amazing, and so is your husband and daughter. Thanks for sharing all your blessings with us - I know it's just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck with everything - the countdown to delivery has begun! :)

Julie Knowlton said...

Okay. That was so moving to read. I absolutely loved it. Thank you for having such a great attitude and setting an example for me. I love you to your guts too.

Diane said...

Des that was so beautiful.That makes me so happy! We love you all so much and are here to help -just give us the call!!!!!!!!!!

Melisa said...

I am so glad to hear that everything is ok. You are such a strong, amazing person, I gained so much from reading. Thanks for sharing:)

Sara Atkinson said...

What an amazing post. The Lord always knows what we need. I had no idea that you had brain surgery. Who was your doctor? I am happy to hear that you are doing better. I will keep you in my prayers.

Brooke said...

Wow Des! What a lot to deal with and what a lot of blessings! You are amazing...I'm so glad that you and the baby are ok.

Toppy said...

Des as everyone before me has said that is quite an amazing post. Also just like Maryann I am sitting at work crying as I am reading it. I am so glad that you are doing good now though.

Jane said...

Thanks for that, you are amazing. I am so glad you are alright, I have been thinking of you.

Meredith & Company said...

Okay, I just left you this huge comment, and then blogger freaked out and refused to post it. Whatever, blogger.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I have tons of flexibility with my job (Mon/Wed/Fri I work from home, Tues/Thurs I am out and about auditing) and I want you to use me to run some errands for you or come play with Alex (with two playmates) or whatever you need. My email address is msagermcnett@yahoo.com and my phone is 801-369-6762 (I think it's safe to post that now that your blog is private). Please, please let me help!

I also wrote (in my previously deleted comment) that Phil is such a blessing to you as you are to him. And, of course, the 1.5 baby girls that are such a blessing as well. I am so grateful you have good people around you to take care of you.

Okay, seriously, if you don't come up with some assignment for me to do, I am going to be seriously offended, so please let me do something to help you out! Good luck with everything and get as much rest as possible!

Oh, and PS, I am jealous that you got "doctor's orders" to quit your job. I'm not envious of your condition, but I am definitely envious of those orders!

Katie said...

My mom is always telling me what an incredible attitude you have. It was so wonderful to read this post and see firsthand! I am keeping you in mind as I try to be less complaining, more grateful.

And to think...With ALL that you have going on, you took the time and money to get me a SEES GIFT CARD!! Des, you shouldn't have!!! (But, if I'm being totally honest, I'm SOOOO glad you did!!!!)

You are officially my very favorite cousin. (Any other Danas reading this can accept that as a challenge =)

Thank you!!

Love,
Katie

Shumway Family said...

It is so good to hear that you are doing better and staying positive. You had us all worried here at Dana. I hope that you got the awesome present from Rosy and I. We miss you! We finally hired somebody so I can go part-time so, we will have to get together one of these days.

Melisa said...

Yes your instructions did help. Although I ended up putting them all in one at a time....don't ask...I should be wearing a helmet:)

Daily Jot & Tittle said...

What a great post..you are amazing. I feel so lucky to have you for a sister-in-law! I wish I could help you more. Know that we love you!

Melanie said...

Wow! You are amazing and how great for you to look on the bright side. I don't think it's weird at all that you think certain aspects of it are funny -- I think that's great! I actually used to do EEG's before I had my daughter and there are plenty of complainers out there (not that I really blame them. Seizures don't look like any fun). I'm glad things have all worked out well and I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well too!
-melanie

Ty and Masha said...

Des, you are a champ, I am always so amazed with your positive attitude and love towards everything. I need to learn that from you. Keep the faith, you are blessed and there are more blessings to come. I love you,

Masha

DLonna said...

You have such an awesome attitude! Thank you for your great example!

Dawn said...

Wow! I don't think I could ever go through trials so gracefully as you do! Keep it up - you're unbelievable!